Greatest Games in Michigan Football History
Michigan football games are one of the best events that happen in the midwest each Saturday in the fall. Each home game for the Wolverines sees a crowd of over 109,000 pack the stands in the hopes to see a Michigan victory. Fans who show up to see their beloved Wolverines expect a victory each time the team takes the field. There are some games that could be considered the best games in Michigan football history. Let’s hope this season can match the excitement.
1. At No. 1, I have Michigan vs. Ohio State. This happened on November 22, 1969, which was Bo Schembelchler’s first season at Michigan after serving as an assistant to Woody Hayes for years. This was a back and forth game with Michigan pulling out the victory over the No. 1 rate Buckeyes.
2. The second best game in Michigan football lore was on September 10, 2012 when the Notre Dame Fighting Irish came to Michigan and squared off with the Wolverines with a NCAA record crowd of 114,804 fans in attendance. The game seemed to be a lock for the Irish when Tommy Rees threw a touchdown pass to Theo Riddick with 30 seconds left. Denard Robinson found a wide open Jeremy Gallon and connected for a 64 yard play down to the 16 yard line of the Irish. He might not be one of the best QBs in school history, but that day he was pretty special. Michigan scored a TD with just 8 seconds to go.
3. The third best game in Michigan football history has to be when Michigan played Alabama in the 2000 Orange Bowl. This game showcased two future NFL stars in Tom Brady and Shaun Alexander. This was a hard fought game that went into overtime, and Alabama scored on their first play of their overtime possession. The extra point went wide. Michigan won.
4. The 2004 Michigan-Michigan State game was one of the best rivalry games in Michigan-Michigan State history. This was a battle between two of each team’s all time greats in Braylon Edwards from Michigan and Drew Stanton from Michigan State. With a little less that nine minutes in the game, Michigan found itself losing to Michigan State 27-10. The game went into 3 OT’s and in that third OT Michigan quarterback Chad Henne found Edwards on a ran a post route that ended up in a Michgan score. After a two point conversion Michigan State could not recover. This is my No. 4 Michigan best game.
5. The 5th best game for Michigan I have chosen is the 2008 Capital One Bowl against a powerful Florida team led by Heisman winner Tim Tebow. Florida had just won the NCAA championship a year ago and Michigan was a heavy underdog. Lloyd Carr announced his retirement and the Wolverines know they were up against a very good and fast Florida squad. The Wolverines racked up more yards of offense that the high flying Gators and sent Coach Carr and the rest of the Seniors out as winners, 41-35.